Trusted Legal Guidance for Your Estate Planning Needs
Losing a loved one can be an emotionally devastating experience, and the added stress of navigating the complicated logistics of probate can be overwhelming. At the Law Offices of Eugene Mogilevsky, LLC, we recognize the challenges you are facing and are committed to providing compassionate, supportive legal guidance during this challenging time.
Our dedicated Indianapolis probate attorney is here to provide the compassionate support and expert legal guidance you need to navigate the probate process with confidence. Whether you are administering an estate, contesting a will, or seeking advice on probate avoidance strategies, our team is committed to delivering personalized, results-driven representation to protect your interests and achieve the best possible outcome for you and your family.
If you are facing probate in Indianapolis, reach out to us online or call us at (317) 743-7958 to see how we can help you and your family.
Understanding the Probate Process
Probate is the legal process through which a deceased person's assets are identified, debts are paid, and the remaining assets are distributed to heirs or beneficiaries according to the decedent's will or Indiana state law. The process is overseen by the probate court and is typically required when a person dies with property in their name.
Here are some of the key steps of probate in Indiana:
- Opening the probate process: In Indiana, the probate process begins with the appointment of a personal representative (also known as an executor or administrator) by the probate court. The personal representative is responsible for administering the decedent's estate and ensuring that all legal requirements are met. If the deceased person left a will, the named executor in the will typically serves as the personal representative. If there is no will, the court will appoint an administrator, usually a close relative of the decedent. Once appointed, the personal representative must provide notice to all interested parties, including heirs, beneficiaries, and creditors.
- Inventorying and appraising assets: A crucial step in the Indiana probate process is identifying and inventorying the decedent's assets. The personal representative is responsible for locating and securing all assets owned by the deceased person, including real estate, personal property, bank accounts, investments, and insurance policies. An appraisal may be necessary to determine the fair market value of certain assets at the time of death. This inventory must be filed with the probate court within two months of the personal representative's appointment.
- Paying debts, taxes, and expenses: Before distributing the estate's assets to the heirs or beneficiaries, the personal representative must ensure that all valid debts, taxes, and expenses are paid. This includes settling any outstanding bills, paying funeral expenses, and addressing any claims made by creditors. In Indiana, creditors have three months from the date of the personal representative's appointment to file their claims. The personal representative must also file any required state and federal tax returns on behalf of the deceased person, as well as pay any taxes owed by the estate.
- Distributing assets and closing the estate: Once all debts, taxes, and expenses have been paid, the personal representative can distribute the remaining assets to the heirs or beneficiaries according to the decedent's will or, if there is no will, according to Indiana's intestate succession laws. The personal representative must maintain accurate records of all transactions and provide a final accounting to the probate court. Once the court approves the final accounting and all other legal requirements have been satisfied, the personal representative will be discharged, and the estate will be closed.
Navigating the probate process in Indiana can be complex and time-consuming. Working with an experienced probate lawyer in Indianapolis can help ensure that the process runs smoothly and efficiently, providing you with the support and guidance you need during this challenging time.
"They were so supportive at every step and made the process so streamlined!!"Hira A.
"Not only is he very smart but also very concerned, caring and easily accessible through emails, phone calls as well messages. he went beyond his responsibilities to ensure my case is done and on time I literally had to do nothing at all."Mary G.
"He is very knowledgeable regarding the immigration process. He was very prompt and efficient in my case."Vaishnavi P.
"We were highly impressed and satisfied with his knowledge on immigration."Andrew J.
"Eugene was very professional and very responsive at any time of the day."Yevhen A.
We offer comprehensive probate services tailored to meet the unique needs of each client, including:
- Estate Administration: We guide personal representatives, executors, and administrators through the complex probate process, ensuring that all legal requirements are met and that the estate is settled in a timely manner. Our services include preparing and filing court documents, providing notice to creditors and beneficiaries, inventorying and appraising assets, paying debts and taxes, and distributing the remaining assets to the rightful heirs or beneficiaries.
- Will Contests and Probate Litigation: If you believe that a will is invalid or that your inheritance rights have been violated, our Indianapolis probate attorney can help you contest the will or pursue other legal remedies in probate court. We are skilled in handling various types of probate disputes, including those involving undue influence, lack of testamentary capacity, fraud, and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Probate Avoidance Strategies: For clients seeking to minimize the time, expense, and public nature of probate, we can help design an estate plan that incorporates probate avoidance strategies such as living trusts, joint ownership of property, beneficiary designations, and lifetime gifts.
- Guardianships and Conservatorships: When a loved one becomes incapacitated and unable to make decisions regarding their personal care or finances, we can assist in establishing a guardianship or conservatorship to ensure their well-being and protect their assets.
Why Choose the Law Offices of Eugene Mogilevsky, LLC for Your Probate Needs?
We recognize that probate matters often arise during a time of grief and emotional turmoil. Our team approaches each case with empathy and understanding, providing the compassionate support you need during this difficult time. Our goal is to make the probate process as stress-free as possible for you and your family.
At the Law Offices of Eugene Mogilevsky, LLC, we understand that every probate matter is unique, with its own set of challenges and complexities. Our team is committed to providing personalized attention to each client, taking the time to fully understand your situation, answer your questions, and develop a tailored legal strategy to meet your specific needs and objectives.
We have extensive experience handling a wide range of probate matters, from simple estate administration to complex probate litigation. With a deep understanding of Indiana probate law and a proven track record of success, you can trust our team to provide the knowledgeable guidance and skilled representation you need to navigate the probate process with confidence.
Our primary goal is to achieve the best possible outcome for you and your family while minimizing the stress, expense, and uncertainty associated with probate matters. When you choose the Law Offices of Eugene Mogilevsky, LLC for your probate needs, you can trust that you are partnering with a dedicated and experienced team who will work tirelessly to help you successfully navigate the complexities of the probate process.
Don't face the complex probate process alone – contact our office online or call us at (317) 743-7958 to schedule a consultation and learn how we can assist you in navigating the challenges of probate with confidence and peace of mind.
Our UnderstandingOne of the most important benefits of working with our experienced attorneys is our understanding of how many of the challenges we face in our daily lives are actually interrelated.
We Help You Feel at EaseMost people do not feel all that comfortable speaking with an attorney. It’s natural to be nervous. We want to put you at your ease. To that end, we do everything possible to make your experience as positive as possible from the initial consultation onward.
We Chose Our Portfolio of Services CarefullyOur goal is to ensure that you are able to achieve a positive outcome with us in virtually any situation, whether you need to create a living will, you want to avoid dying intestate, you need to set up a power of attorney, or you need help pursuing and achieving US citizenship.