Skip to Content
Live Agents Are Available 24/7 317-743-7958

My spouse is not a U.S. citizen

couple holding hands

     If you have been recently married, you might find yourself in a new world full of opportunities, expectations and maybe even some hardships. More specifically, if you are a United States citizen married to a non-citizen, you might quickly find yourself immersed in the world of immigration.

     If your spouse is not a United States citizen, and you are not wanting to relocate to their country; the only other feasible option is to seek out a way to bring your spouse to you! There is much information, research, planning and implementation that goes into legally bringing a spouse into the country, or allowing them to legally remain, and even knowing the correct application to fill out.

     Typically, in this situation, one of the key differences is whether your spouse is currently within the United Statas or residing outside of the country. This information in itself will allow to guide you in a more appropriate direction. Usually, the initial form needed is the I-130 - Petition for Alien Relative. This may or may not apply to your specific situation and it is always encouraged to seek out an immigration attorney and consult directly with an immigration lawyer. A great attorney can properly, fully and correctly assess the situation at hand and provide legal advice on how to proceed. The world of immigration, more often than not, can be quite confusing without someone qualified to guide you along the way.

     Should you ever find yourself requiring legal assistance with immigration matters, the best thing to do is seek out professional, legal counsel, as aforementioned. A licensed and experienced immigration attorney will know how to navigate these sometimes-mucky waters and will be able to provide you with some peace of mind. Immigration lawyers are familiar with the many different intricacies of immigration law. The immigration services known as United States Citizenship and Immigration Services or USCIS are the ones to submit all immigration applications, visas, sponsorships or otherwise paperwork into. When it comes to obtaining any type of visa, they are the ones to process and review the necessary documentation before concluding with a decision.

     When it comes to USCIS, it is best to educate oneself on their policies, procedures and have realistic expectations of what is to come next. The immigration services work on their own time, and can be quite difficult to get a hold of at times, should you need to. A great way to avoid any sort of complications or delays, is to ensure that all of the documentation you are submitting is correct and true. Hiring an experienced immigration lawyer can prove to be of the utmost help to ensure the best possible course of action is being taken for your spouse!

     If you or someone you know has recently been married to a non-US citizen, and you want to consult with an experienced immigration lawyer, you can contact our office online by submitting a Contact Form at Contact Us | The Law Offices of Eugene Mogilevsky ( or by directly calling our office at (317) 743-7958. Our attorneys practice a variety of different laws such as immigration law, family law and divorce, real estate, criminal, bankruptcy, litigation, probate, wills, trust, trademarks, business law, contracts and more!

Disclaimer: This blog post is for educational and informational purposes only and is not to be taken as legal advice in any capacity. Reading this blog does not constitute or establish an attorney-client relationship.